The Montessori School offers preschool education for children ages 3 to 6. Classrooms are multi-aged, allowing children to collaborate with a diverse group of peers. Read more about the specifics below.
- Offered at our Richland and Kalamazoo campuses
- Monday through Friday, morning and full day options available
- Before- and after-school care available
- 9-month and 12-month programs
- 1:10 adult-to-child ratio
- Cooking, sewing, music, gardening, outdoor time, and more!
The most important time for learning is the period between birth and six years of age. Children are eager to learn from new people and experiences. They absorb all the environment has to offer and it is our responsibility to ensure the world they experience is rich, safe, nurturing, and intelligent. The foundation of self-esteem and all future learning is constructed during these early years and the Preschool Program is designed to take advantage of this powerful, formative period.
In the preschool classroom, your child will be introduced to many different concepts and will learn both through observing and through direct interaction with our beautifully crafted materials.
- Children learn to bake, sew, wash dishes, care for self, sweep, pour, and more with our lessons in Practical Life.
- Activities that appeal and refine the senses are the focus of our Sensorial Exercises. Your child will learn size, shape, composition, texture, temperature, weight, loudness or softness, and many other qualities as he or she works with these materials.
- Language is taught through a specific progression of lessons that engage the senses–children learn letters and sounds through seeing, hearing, and touching them–and through immersion in a linguistically rich classroom environment.
- Our Mathematics materials are designed to teach your child not only how, but why. Math is hands-on and our lessons teach number values and math operations though concrete materials that children touch and manipulate. Children are exposed to a wide array of mathematical concepts to prepare them for abstract work and mathematics in later grades.
- Lessons in Grace and Courtesy begin on the first day of school and are reinforced throughout the Preschool level. Children learn to respect one’s own work and the work of others, to wait one’s turn, and to handle materials gently and put them away neatly after using them. These and other lessons in Grace and Courtesy are essential to maintaining a quiet, respectful, and nurturing environment and to raising considerate and capable children.
Contact us to learn more, schedule a tour, and meet our staff!